with Sylvia Hall-Ellis
Beginning Monday, September 22
Go from beginner to advanced cataloger in this advanced eCourse, from the basic core concepts to building your own records with several weeks of hands-on exercises under Hall-Ellis’ guidance. Cover the latest trends, techniques, and instructions—including RDA: Resource Description and Access—to help you catalog materials.
In 12 weeks, you will:
- Learn about different cataloging schemes and different types of records
- Learn the core concepts that govern the field of cataloging with an emphasis on working in an online environment
- Learn how bibliographic description works, including the basics of different cataloging standards and bibliographic formats
- Gain a thorough understanding of how authority control and subject access work
- Catalog materials in a variety of formats and subject areas
- Use the Dewey Decimal Classification Scheme and the Library of Congress Classification Scheme
Sylvia Hall-Ellis, an expert cataloger and instructor at the SJSU iSchool, will guide this asynchronous eCourse.
Participants who complete this Advanced eCourse will receive an SJSU iSchool/ALA Publishing Advanced Certificate of Completion.